“We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” -Winston Churchill
Although this has been my motto since the beginning of my venture into the professional photography world, I would never truly understand how accurate this was until several years into doing what I love most.
After over four years in business, I’ve learned a few things about myself and the people I serve. For example;
- Most of my clients are just friends in the making (see the picture up there?)
- Always start with the most important photo first.
- It’s usually a good idea to have a cup of coffee or an energy drink before you photograph most toddlers.
- There is an app for nearly everything (including getting a newborn to fall asleep).
- Stay genuine. If people feel you are disingenuous they will drop you like a bad habit.
- The more you know about the people you serve, the better you will be able to capture them on film.
- The best photographs come when you disconnect yourself from your daily life and immerse yourself in a session.
- There are more rewards than you could ever imagine when you give your time without an expectation of something in return.
I have been through many life changes since I opened up my doors in 2008. It has been so incredibly humbling to me to see all of the clients who truly care and have been there with a supportive word, a hug or a smile through the difficult times. I feel truly blessed to have come as far as I have and I know that I would have never made it without so much love and support from the families I photograph.
A few things about me
- Regardless of the fact I am divorced, I am not a single mommy. There is an entire village of people who love and care for my son.
- Although I’m nearly 30 years old, I still don’t feel like an adult most of the time.
- I truly believe you should consume your own product and I have photos taken as often as possible.
- I’m so relieved to be living back in the Denver Metro area near the people I love most.
- Some people are not aware my full name is Dominique but I frequently respond to; “hun”, “mommy” and “you with the camera”
- I hate the gym but I’m finally beginning to appreciate it in a new way.
- Someday I secretly want to get married again and have another child.
- I fired my first real weapon at 27 years old.
- I could eat PB&J with cold milk every day and be “carb happy”
- I met the man of my dreams in March of 2012 (many of you have also met him during shoots that required assistance ) And above all, family is what feeds my soul.